675g (1 1/2 lb catfish fillets, skinned
300ml (1/2 pint) cider bouquet of fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, bayleaf)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
about 1 1/4 cups (10 fl oz) 300 ml white sauce
450 g (1 Ib) potatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
2 medium leeks, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup (100 g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 quantity shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
1. Cook the catfish in the cider with the bouquet of herbs and seasoning to taste for 10 minutes.
2. Remove with a slotted spoon and flake the flesh, removing any bones.
3. Cook the diced potato in the fish liquid until just tender. Drain and reserve.
4. Add all the cooking liquid to the white sauce and stir in the garlic, if using.
5. Arrange the chopped leeks and mushrooms in the base of a lightly greased 1.25 litres (2 pints) pie dish.
6. Top the vegetables with the fish and potato, season lightly to taste and pour over the sauce.
7. Roll out the pastry to make a lid and use to top the pie,
8. Decorate, if liked, with pastry trimmings and glaze with the beaten egg.
9. Bake in a hot oven 220°c (425°f) gas 7 for 10 minutes then reduce to moderate 180°c (350°f) gas 4 for a further 20 minutes.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!