This recipe combines a tasty mixture of chicken, prawns and vegetables with fried rice.
175 g (6 oz) scant 1 cup long-grain white rice
45 ml (3 tbsp) groundnut oil
350 ml (12 fl oz) 1 1/2 cups water
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 spring onions, finely chopped
115 g (4 oz) cooked chicken, diced
115 g (4 oz) cooked prawns, peeled
50 g (2 oz) frozen peas
1 egg, lightly beaten
50 g (2 oz) lettuce, shredded
30 ml (2 tbsp) light soy sauce
pinch of caster sugar
salt and ground black pepper
15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped roasted cashew nuts, to garnish
1. Rinse the rice in two to three changes of warm water to wash away some of the starch. Drain well.
2. Put the rice in a saucepan and add 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the oil and the water. Cover and bring to the boil, stir once, then cover and simrner for 12 - 15 minutes, until nearly all the vater has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave, covered, to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and leave to cool.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a preheated wok or frying pan, add the garlic and spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add the chicken, prawns and peas and stir-fry for 1 - 2 minutes, then add the cooked rice and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes. Pour in the egg and stir-fry until just set. Stir in the lettuce, soy sauce, sugar and seasoning.
5. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl, sprinkle with the chopped cashew nuts and serve immediately.
40 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!