These koftas look most attractive served on their bed of mixed fresh vegetables, especially if you make them quite small.
450 g (1 lb) lean minced lamb
5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) garlic pulp
5 ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
1 small onion, finely diced
150 ml (1/4 pint) 2/3 cup corn oil
for the vegetables
45 ml (3 tbsp) corn oil
1 bunch spring onions, roughly chopped
1/2 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
175 g (6 oz) sweetcorn
225 g (8 oz) canned butter beans, drained
1/2 small cauliflower, cut into florets
4 fresh green chillies, chopped
for the garnish
5 ml (1 tsp) chopped fresh mint
fresh coriander sprigs
15 ml (1 tbsp) shredded fresh root ginger
1/2 lime, thinly sliced
15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
1. Put the minced lamb into a food processor or blender and process for about 1 minute.
2. Transfer the lamb to a bowl and add the garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, garlic pulp, chilli powder, salt, fresh coriander and onion. Mix thoroughly using your fingers. Cover the bowl and set aside in the refrigerator.
3. Heat the oil for the vegetables in a preheated wok or frying pan. Add the spring onions and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the red and green peppers, sweetcorn, butter beans, cauliflower and green chillies and stir-fry over a high heat for about 2 minutes. Set the wok or frying pan aside.
5. Remove the kofta mixture from the refrigerator. Using your hands, roll small pieces of the mixture into portions about the size of golf balls. The mixture will make 12 - 16 koftas.
6. Heat the oil for the koftas in a frying pan. Lower the heat and add the koftas, a few at a time. Shallow-fry each batch, turning the koftas, until they are evenly browned. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Return the wok or frying pan with the vegetables to a medium heat and add the cooked koftas. Stir the mixture gently for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.
8. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the mint, coriander, shredded ginger and lime slices. Just before, serving, sprinkle over the lemon juice.