Fry this sweet version of fried wontons; they make a truly crumptious snack or dessert.
25 - 30 dried dates, stoned
50 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup walnuts
30 ml (2 tbsp) light brown sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon
30 wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten
oil, for deep-frying
fresh mint sprigs, to decorate
icing sugar, for dusting
1. Chop the dates and walnuts roughly. Place them in a bowl and add the sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
2. Lay a wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Centre a spoonful of the filling on the wrapper, brush the edges with beaten egg and cover with a second wrapper. Lightly press the edges together to seal. Make more filled wontons in the same way.
3. Heat the oil to 180°C (350°F) in a wok or deep-fryer. Deep-fry the wontons, a few at a time, until golden. Do not crowd the pan.
4. Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Serve warm, decorated with mint and dusted with icing sugar.