In China, noodles in soup are far more popular than fried noodles. This is a basic recipe which you can adapt by using different ingredients.
225 g (8 oz) chicken or pork fillet
3 - 4 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked
115 g (4 oz) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
115 g (4 oz) spinach leaves, lettuce hearts or Chinese leaves
2 spring onions
375 g (12 oz) dried egg noodles
600 ml (1 pint) 2 1/2 cups Basic Stock
30 ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) light brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
10 ml (2 tsp) Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
few drops of sesame oil
1. Thinly shred the meat. Squeeze dry the mushrooms and discard any-hard stalks.Thinly shred the mushroom caps, bamboo shoots, spinach, lettuce hearts or Chinese leaves and the spring onions. Keep the meat, the spring onions and the other ingredients in three heaps.
2. Cook the noodles in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet, then drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a serving bowl.
3. Bring the stock to the boil and pour over the noodles. Keep warm.
4. Heat the oil in a preheated wok, add the spring onions and the meat and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
5. Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and spinach, lettuce or Chinese leaves and stir-fry for 1 minute or until the meat is cooked through. Add the salt, sugar, soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry and sesame oil and blend well.
6. Pour the "dressing" over the noodles and serve.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!