This traditional dish can be baked or steamed and is often served with sweet sticky rice and a selection of fruit such as mango and tamarillo.
serves 4 - 6
75 g (3 oz) soft light brown sugar
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup coconut milk
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla, rose or jasmine extract
mint leaves, to decorate
icing sugar, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas 2.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add the coconut milk and vanilla or other extract and blend well together.
3. Strain the mixture and pour into individual ramekins or a cake tin.
4. Stand the ramekins or tin in a roasting pan. Carefully fill the pan with hot water to reach halfway up the outsides of the ramekins or tin.
5. Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until the custards are set. Test with a fine skewer or cocktail stick.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Turn out onto a plate, and serve with sliced fruit. Decorate with mint leaves and icing sugar.
12 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!