A curry-like dish where the prawns are cooked in a spicy coconut gravy.
serves 4 - 6
600 ml (1 pint) 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
30 ml (2 tbsp) yellow curry paste
15 ml (1 tbsp) fish sauce
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
5 ml (1 tsp) granulated sugar
450 g (1 lb) king prawns, shelled, tails left intact and deveined
225 g (8 oz) cherry tomatoes
juice of 1/2 lime, to serve
2 red chillies, cut into strips, to garnish
coriander leaves, to garnish
1. Put half the coconut milk into a pan or wok and bring to the boil.
2. Add the yellow curry paste to the coconut milk, stir until it disperses, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the fish sauce, salt, sugar and remaining coconut milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the prawns and cherry tomatoes. Simmer very gently for about 5 minutes until the prawns are pink and tender.
5. Serve sprinkled with lime juice and garnish with chillies and coriander.
To make yellow curry paste, process together 6 - 8 yellow chillies, 1 chopped lemon grass stalk, 4 peeled shallots, 4 garlic cloves, 15 ml (1 tbsp) peeled chopped fresh root ginger, 5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds, 5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder, 5 ml (1 tsp) salt, 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon, 15 ml (1 tbsp) light brown sugar and 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil in a blender or food procesor. When a paste has formed, transfer to a glass jar and keep in the fridge.
25 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!