90 ml (6 tbsp) soy sauce
50 ml (2 fl oz) sake
100 ml (4 fl oz) mirin or sweet sherry
8 chicken livers (optional)
4 chicken thighs, boned
4 spring onions, or 1/2 green pepper, seeded and cut into 8 pieces
1. Heat the soy sauce, sake and mirin together, stirring all the time until it comes to the boil.
2. Cook without a cover for 2 - 3 minutes until it has reduced to two-thirds, then cool.
3. Meanwhile clean the chicken livers, cutting away any threads with scissors.
4. Cut the chicken thighs into even-sized pieces for grilling, about 2.5 cm (1 in).
5. Cut the spring onions into the same size lengths.
6. Thread the halved chicken livers, if you are using them, onto skewers with the chicken pieces and spring onion or green pepper.
7. Pour the marinade into a jam jar and dip each skewer of food into this.
8. Set under a hot grill or over a barbecue. Dip in the marinade three or four times during the 10 minutes cooking period.
9. Serve at once to enjoy this succulent dish at its best.