675 g (1 1/2 lb) chuck steak
300 ml (1 1/2 pt) unsweetened canned coconut milk
5 g (1 tsp) brown sugar
15 g (1 tbsp) mixed chopped nuts
15 ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, peeled
2.5 cm (1 in) fresh root ginger
2 fresh chilli peppers, seeded
salt and freshly ground pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon
15 g (1 tbsp) cornflour
450 g (1 lb) frozen spinach or 1 kg (2 lb) fresh spinach
60 ml (4 tbsp) yoghurt
1. Trim off excess fat from the meat, and cut into thin strips.
2. Put the coconut milk, sugar, nuts and soy sauce into a saucepan.
3. Mix the beef with these ingredients and bring to the boil.
4. Immediately the mixture bubbles, turn the heat down and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. In a blender or food processor make a paste with the garlic, onion, fresh ginger, chilli peppers, a little salt and lemon juice.
6. Mix this paste with the cornflour and a little cold water.
7. Add some of the hot liquid from the beef to the mixture before stirring into the beef.
8. Cover and simmer gently for about 30 - 40 minutes until meat is cooked.
9. Cook the spinach as directed on the packet if using frozen.
10. For fresh spinach wash and remove large stems and cook in a small amount of boiling salted water for about 5 minutes.
11. Drain cooking water into a bowl and use to add to sauce if it has reduced too much.
12. Arrange drained spinach in a hot serving dish. Put beef onto the spinach and trickle yoghurt on top.
13. Serve with plain boiled rice.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!