serves 4 - 6
1.5 kg (3 lb) chicken
2.5 cm (1 in) piece fresh ginger, scraped and chopped
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
60 - 90 ml (4 - 6 tbsp) oil
600 ml (1 pt) water or chicken stock
1 unripe papaya
30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
a good handful of washed spinach leaves
salt and pepper
1. Cut the chicken into eight or more pieces, dry on absorbent kitchen paper and set aside.
2. Fry the ginger, onion and garlic in hot oil until soft and tender, but not coloured. Lift out and reserve.
3. Reheat the fat in the pan and fry the chicken pieces on all sides until golden, turning frequently. Add water or stock and seasoning. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger. Cover and cook over a gentle heat until the chicken pieces are almost cooked or for about 35-45 minutes depending on the size.
4. Wash and cut the papaya in half, remove the seeds and outer skin. Slice evenly and add to the chicken. Cover and cook until the papaya is tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Bring up to a rapid boil, add the Worcestershire sauce and spinach. Cover and cook for 1 minute. Taste for seasoning and serve.