1.4 kg (3 lb) chicken or 4 chicken quarters
4 cloves garlic, crushed
175 ml (7 fl oz) cider vinegar
2.5 - 5 g (1/2 - 1 tsp) black peppercorns, crushed
225 g (8 oz) dessiccated coconut
450 ml (3/4 pt) boiling water
450 ml (3/4 pt) chicken stock or water
oil for frying
15 ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
cucumber matchsticks and tomato slices to garnish
1. Wipe the chicken and cut into eight pieces, thigh and drumstick into two pieces and the breast and wing into a further two portions. Similarly cut each of the chicken quarters, if using, into two. Place in a glass or glazed bowl, add the garlic, vinegar and peppercorns. Mix well then leave to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Prepare coconut milk by putting the coconut in a bowl, pouring onto it the Boiling water, leaving to stand for 15 minutes, then squeezing out the liquid.
3. Turn the marinaded chicken pieces into a pan with the stock or water. Bring to the boil, but do not cover, then simmer for 25 - 30 minutes adding a little extra water if necessary to keep the chicken moist. When the chicken is tender lift out and reduce the cooking liquid to 175 ml (1/4 pt) and set aside.
4. Clean the pan, add oil and fry the chicken pieces until they are brown all over. Keep warm on a serving dish. Add the coconut milk to the reduced sauce in another pan. Add soy sauce and cook for 4 - 5 minutes.
5. Pour over the chicken pieces and garnish with cucumber matchsticks and tomato slices. Serve with freshly boiled rice.