Hoisin sauce is a plum sauce widely available in supermarkets.
1.25 kg (2 1/2 lb) chicken
15 g (1 tbsp) cornflour
30 ml (2 tbsp) sherry
30 ml (2 tbsp) liquid honey
oil for deep frying
spring onion curls
1. Rinse the chicken inside and out thoroughly.
2. Plunge it into a large pan of boiling water for 1 minute.
3. Lift out carefully, drain and dry thoroughly.
4. Tie up by the feet and dry out for 3 - 4 hours.
5. Rub the skin with salt and suspend overnight in a cool, dry place.
6. Blend the cornflour and sherry, then stir in the honey.
7. Rub the skin of the chicken with this mixture and leave for several hours or overnight.
8. Lift the chicken into a frying basket and lower into a larger pan of deep fat, lifting out several times to allow the fat to regain heat.
9. The chicken will be cooked in 50 - 60 minutes and the skin will be crisp and golden.
10. Drain thoroughly and cut into even-sized, smallish pieces.
11. Serve garnished with spring onions and pieces of cucumber and hoisin sauce for dipping.'
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!