This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
serves 6 (2 each)
30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons Dairy free margarine
2 x 850 g (1 lb 14 oz) cans of pitted black cherries
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar or to taste
juice and zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons of kirsch liqueur
for the blinis
55 g (2 oz) generous 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of rice flour
1 teaspoon of Gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
140 ml (5 fl oz) 2/3 cup of water
A drop of extra oil for frying
Dairy free vanilla ice-cream
1. Melt the margarine in a frying pan (skillet), add the cherries, cinnamon, sugar, orange juice and zest, and cook for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
2. Add the kirsch and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Keep warm while you make the blinis.
4. Sift the flours with the baking powder into a bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the oils and eggs.
5. Stir with a balloon whisk and gradually incorporate the water.
6. Leave the batter to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
7. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan (skillet) with a drop of extra oil until very hot.
8. Pour a spoonful of the blini mixture into the pan and repeat until you have 4 blinis, each about 6 cm (2 1/2 inch) in diameter.
9. Cook the blinis until they are firm on the underside and bubbling on the upper side, then turn them over and cook the other side.
10. Keep the blinis warm until they are all ready.
11. Serve two of them, overlapping, on each warm plate with a pool of warm spiced cherries beside them and a scoop of Dairy free vanilla ice-cream on the edge of the pancakes.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!