This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
serves 10 (4 each)
40 ripe Cape gooseberries (physalis)
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar
1 tablespoon of orange liqueur
1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice
A few drops of food colouring, optional
A large plate or tray with about 2 tablespoons of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar sprinkled over it
1. Hold the stalks of the Cape gooseberries (physalis) and gently open out the papery lanterns that conceal the berries.
2. Fold the wings right back, giving them a little twist as you do so.
3. In a small bowl, beat the icing (confectioners') sugar with the liqueur and orange juice until smooth.
4. Stir in a couple of drops of food colouring if desired, or divide the mixture in half and colour one half, leaving the other plain.
5. Holding the wings of the fruit carefully, dip the berries into the icing until evenly covered.
6. Allow the excess to drip off before placing it on to the prepared plate or tray.
7. Keep in a cool place (not the refrigerator) and eat within 48 hours.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!