This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, and Wheat free
serves 8 - 10
170 g (6 oz) 3/4 cup of Dairy free margarine, softened
170 g (6 oz) generous 3/4 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
Grated zest of 2 limes and their juice
4 large free-range eggs, separated
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of rice flour, sifted
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of millet flour; sifted
Pinch of salt
1 heaped teaspoon of Gluten free baking powder
55 g (2 oz) 2/3 cup of desiccated (shredded) coconut
240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of goat's or sheep's natural yogurt
1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
for the icing
3 ripe passion fruit, halved and flesh scooped into a bowl
Juice of 1/2 a lime
170 g (6 oz) 1 1/4 cups of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar or more if the mixture is too runny
A deep-sided 23 cm (9 inch), non-stick, loose-bottomed cake tin, greased and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. Beat the margarine and sugar in a food processor, then beat in the lime zest and egg yolks.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in the flours with the salt, baking powder and coconut.
4. Fold in the lime juice and yogurt.
5. Whisk the cream of tartar with the egg whites until stiff in another bowl.
6. Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture and spoon into the prepared cake tin.
7. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown, firm and springy to touch.
8. Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and peel off the baking parchment (wax paper).
9. Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack.
10. Meanwhile, make the icing. mix the passion fruit pulp with the lime juice and beat in the icing (confectioners') sugar using a wooden spoon.
11. Add more icing (confectioners') sugar if the icing is too runny (this will depend on the size of passion fruit and lime you are using and how ripe and juicy they are).
12. Place the cake on a serving plate and spread the icing over the top of the cake.
13. Leave to set in a cool place.
14. Keep the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!