This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
serves 6 - 8
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of rice flour
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of maize flour/meal
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of instant polenta
1 tablespoon of Gluten free baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of runny honey
2 large free-range eggs
300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of soya milk
3 tablespoons of corn oil
A few drops of Gluten free chilli sauce/oil
120 g (4 oz) 2/3 cup of either chopped sweetcorn kernels or chopped olives and sun-dried tomatoes or 120 g (4 oz) 2/3 cup of cooked chopped onion or bacon
1 mild chilli pepper; seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon of chopped herbs, either thyme, parsley, sage or chives
Poppy seeds to decorate
A large loaf tin, greased and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
2. Sieve and mix the dry ingredients into a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk the honey, eggs, milk, oil and chilli sauce/oil with the chopped sweetcorn, or whatever you have chosen.
4. Add the chilli pepper and herbs and mix together well. Stir this into the flours.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake for 35 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
6. Serve in thick slices.