120 g (4 oz) mixed dried fruit
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml cold tea
2/3 cup (120 g) light brown sugar
60 g (2 oz) margarine
60 g (2 oz) orange marmalade
1 cup + 3 tbsp (125 g) wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
1 tsp Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
1 pinch of salt
60 g (2 oz) bran cereal
1 egg, beaten
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (175°C) gas mark 4 and lightly grease a large loaf tin.
2. Place the fruit, tea, sugar, margarine and marmalade in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the margarine melted, then leave to cool.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Beat the egg and add it to the fruit mixture, then pour into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly and quickly. Pour immediately into the prepared loaf tin.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a knife inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
5. Cool the teabread on a wire rack. Serve sliced and lightly buttered.