This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
200 g (7 oz) 2 cups of peeled, cored and chopped eating apple
170 g (6 oz) 1 cup of finely grated carrot
255 g (9 oz) 2 1/4 cups of fresh or frozen blackberries
240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of cranberry juice
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of buckwheat flour
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of maize flour
3 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons of Gluten free mixed (pie) spice
2 large free-range egg whites, lightly beaten
170 g (6 oz)l cup of soft (light) brown sugar; sifted
1 kg (2.2 lb) non-stick loaf tin, lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas mark 4
2. Place the apple, carrot, blackberries and cranberry juice in a non-stick saucepan, bring to the boil, then set aside to cool.
3. Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and spices into a bowl.
4. In A separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar until you have a stiff meringue.
5. Stir the fruit mixture into the flour mixture and then fold in the meringue.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin and gently smooth over the top.
7. Bake in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the loaf is well risen and golden brown.
8. An inserted skewer should come out clean when the cake is cooked through.
9. Leave the cake to cool, then turn it onto a wire rack and remove the paper.
10. When the cake is completely cold, wrap it in foil and store in an airtight container until needed.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!