This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
11.7 g (1/2 oz) sachet (US 1 tablespoon) of powdered gelatine dissolved in 60 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup of boiling water or vegetarian equivalent
100 ml (3 1/2 oz) scant 1/2 cup of elderflower and lemon cordial
550 g (1 lb 3 oz) 4 cups of trimmed, ripe dessert gooseberries
2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
2 large free-range eggs, separated
200 ml (7 fl oz) 3 1/2 cup of coconut cream
240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of soya cream
Fresh mint leaves and sifted icing (confectioners') sugar to decorate
1. Mix the dissolved gelatine with the elderflower cordial.
2. Cook the gooseberries with the sugar and a tiny amount of water, just enough so that the fruit will not stick to the pan.
3. When the fruit is bursting and soft, remove from the heat.
4. When the fruit is nearly cold, place in the food processor and beat to a thick puree. sieve the puree into a bowl in order to remove all the pips.
5. Stir the egg yolks and gelatine into the fruit puree and mix thoroughly.
6. Mix in the coconut cream and soya cream.
7. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the puree using a metal spoon.
8. Fill a large pretty bowl or dish with the elderflower and gooseberry cream and leave it to chill in the freezer for about 30 - 40 minutes.
9. Once it is starting to set, cover the dish with clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill it for at least 4 more hours in the refrigerator.
10. Once the elderflower cream is completely set, decorate it with little sprigs of fresh mint.
11. At the last moment, dust the elderflower and gooseberry cream with sifted icing (confectioners') sugar.
12. Serve chilled with some crunchy (Gluten free & Dairy Free ) cookies.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!