This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
255 g (9 oz) 1 1/4 cups of arborio rice
500 g (17 oz) 9 cups of fresh or frozen (and defrosted) leaf spinach - do not use chopped spinach
300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of dry white vermouth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
800 ml (28 fl oz) 3 1/3 cups of Gluten free vegetable stock (bouillon)
The juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon of fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tablespoon of Dairy free margarine
1. Heat the oil and gently cook the onion until soft, but not brown.
2. Add the garlic. Cook for a moment, then stir in the rice and cook for a few minutes.
3. Mix in the spinach leaves followed by the vermouth. Season and then pour in the stock (bouillon).
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 35 minutes, or until the rice is swollen and soft (top up with water if necessary).
5. Stir in the lemon juice, nutmeg, oregano and margarine and serve very hot.
6. This is delicious with grated pecorino (romano) cheese on top.