This recipe is Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
2 medium-sized (115 - 170 g (4 - 6 oz) sea bass steaks, skin on
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh thyme leaves
1 bulb of fennel, trimmed and tough outer layers removed
The juice of 2 oranges and the zest of 1 orange
4 tablespoons of dry white vermouth
4 tablespoons of Gluten free vegetable stock (bouillon)
5 spring onions (scallions), trimmed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon of Gluten free cornflour (cornstarch), dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1. Rinse the sea bass in cold water and then, using a sharp knife, make 2 - 3 small incisions on the side of the fish.
2. Put the sea bass on a plate and sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and fresh thyme leaves (reserving a few for decoration).
3. Leave to rest for 30 minutes in a cool place.
4. Finely slice the fennel with a very sharp knife and place in a non-stick frying pan (skillet) with the orange juice and zest, the vermouth, stock (bouillon) and spring onions (scallions).
5. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the fennel pieces are nearly soft.
6. Stir in the dissolved cornflour (cornstarch), bring the sauce to the boil again, turn down the heat and stir the sauce until it is clear and thickened.
7. Keep the pan of fennel on low heat while you cook the fish.
8. Preheat the grill (broiler) to the hottest setting and cook the fish, skin side up, for about 5 minutes.
9. The quicker the fish cooks, the juicier the flesh will be under the seared skin.
10. Pour the fennel sauce onto 2 warm plates and place the sea bass in the centre.
11. Decorate with a couple-of sprigs of fresh thyme and serve immediately with baby new potatoes and fresh, crunchy green vegetables.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!