This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
500 g (17 oz) 3 1/2 cups of raisins
400 g (14 oz) 3 cups of dried currants
140 g (5 oz) l 1/3 cups of dried pineapple, chopped
140 g (5 oz) 3/4 cup of glace cherries
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of dried figs, chopped
140 g (5 oz) 3/4 cup of candied citrus peel, chopped
170 g (6 oz) 1 1/4 cups of white rice flour
200 g (7 oz/1 1/2 cups of brown rice flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of Gluten free mixed (pie) spice
1 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons of ground allspice
370 g (13 oz) 1 1/2 cups of Dairy free margarine
370 g (13 oz) 1 3/4 cups of brown sugar
6 large free-range eggs 6 tablespoons of brandy
for the icing
4 - 5 tablespoons of smooth apricot jam (jelly)
icing (confectioners') sugar for rolling
500 g (17 oz) of Gluten free golden marzipan
1 kg (2.2 lb) of ready-made-to-roll Gluten free white icing
ribbon, decorations or food colouring (optional)
25 cm (10 inch) cake tin, greased and lined with a double layer of baking parchment (wax paper) Dairy free sunflower margarine
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas mark 2
2. Put the fruit in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave until tepid, then drain.
3. Sift the flours with the salt, mixed (pie) spice, nutmeg and allspice.
4. Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl until soft and light (or use a food processor and then return the mixture to the bowl).
5. Add 1 egg at a time, beating it into the mixture.
6. When you have added all the eggs, mix in the flour mixture in several batches.
7. Finally, add the brandy and dried fruits.
8. lightly grease the paper in the cake tin with the Dairy free sunflower margarine, then spoon the batter into the tin and smooth the top, hollowing the centre slightly.
9. Bake for 3 hours or until cooked through. (insert a skewer into the cake - it is ready if the skewer comes out clean.
10. Test in several places.) if the cake browns too quickly cover loosely with foil.
11. Leave to cool in the tin and then unmould and peel off the paper. Wrap the cake in foil and store.
12. The week you intend to eat the cake, unwrap it and place on a cake board.
13. Gently heat the apricot jam (jelly) and brush it all over the cake.
14. Sprinkle a work surface with icing (confectioners') sugar and roll out the marzipan and cover the cake with it.
15. Trim off any excess and press closely into the cake. Trim again if necessary.
16. Leave for 24 hours in a cool place to dry out.
17. Roll out the ready-made icing in the same way, cover and trim. Decorate and store in an airtight container.
58 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!