This recipe is Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
6 spring onions (scallions), trimmed and chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 stalks of lemon grass, finely sliced
1 kg (2.2 lb) of prepared fresh (or frozen) mussels in or out of shells
425 g (15 oz) of condensed beef consomme
600 ml (20 fl oz) 2 1/2 cups of water
140 g (5 oz) of pickled ginger slices, drained
1 teaspoon of (Gluten free) fish sauce (or double up on [Gluten free] soy sauce)
1 teaspoon of dark (Gluten free) soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large pan.
2. Add the onions (scallions), chilli, garlic and lemon grass.
3. Cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the mussels, followed by the consomme, water, pickled ginger, fish sauce and soy sauce.
5. Season and then simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Serve the soup immediately in hot bowls and sprinkle with the chopped coriander (cilantro).