This recipe is Gluten free and Wheat free
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons of skimmed milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 medium-sized, ready-cooked and prepared beetroots (beets)
1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon of Gluten free vegetable stock (bouillon) powder
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of Gluten free mixed (pie) spice
240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of cold water
2 bay leaves
2 freshly prepared halibut steaks
A large sprig of fresh thyme
1/2 a lemon, freshly squeezed
1 lemon, cut into quarters
Fresh thyme sprigs to decorate
1. First make the beetroot (beet) and cumin puree.
2. Cook the potato in boiling water until soft, then mash with the skimmed milk and season with salt and pepper.
3. Chop the beetroots (beets) and put them into a saucepan with the garlic, stock (bouillon) powder, cumin, mixed spice and the cold water.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Leave the mixture to cool slightly, then puree it in a food processor. (The puree must be very thick otherwise the mash will be too runny to take the weight of the fish. If it is too runny, return it to a non-stick pan and simmer until it has reduced and thickened.)
6. Mix the puree into the mashed potatoes and stir the mixture until it is an even texture and colour throughout.
7. Adjust the seasoning according to taste.
8. Place the beetroot (beet) and potato mixture in a non-stick pan and heat through over a gentle heat until needed.
9. Put the two bay leaves on a non-stick baking tray and place the portions of halibut on top.
10. Sprinkle the fish with the thyme leaves, salt, pepper and some of the lemon juice. Grill (broil) the fish for a few minutes under very high heat so that the juices are sealed in. Turn the halibut over and grill (broil) until just cooked through.
11. Place the hot puree in the centre of each plate and place the fish on top, removing the bay leaf first!
12. Serve with the lemon segments and decorate with sprigs of fresh thyme.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!