This recipe is Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
115 g (4 oz) 3/4 cup of rice flour
115 g (4 oz) 3/4 cup of millet flour
A pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of Gluten free mixed (pie) spice
1/4 teaspoon of mace
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of Dairy free margarine
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of white fat, cubed
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
85 g (3 oz) 1/2 cup of dried mixed fruit
1 free-range egg, beaten
1 tablespoon of apple or orange juice
Extra caster (superfine) sugar to sprinkle
Extra flour for rolling
A little oil
1. Sift the flours, salt and spices into a bowl.
2. Rub in the margarine and white fat until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Stir in the caster sugar and dried mixed fruit, then mix in the egg and juice until you have a light dough.
4. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out on a floured board until it is about 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick, then use a 7.5 cm (3 inch) pastry cutter to cut out 12 rounds.
5. Lightly oil a griddle or a frying pan (skillet) and heat until hot.
6. Cook the cakes in batches for 4 - 5 minutes on each side until they are golden brown but still soft in the middle.
7. Sprinkle with caster (superfine) sugar when they are done and leave to cool slightly on wire racks until ready to eat.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!