This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of rice flour
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of maize flour
140 g (5 oz) 2/3 cup of Dairy free margarine
55 g (2 oz) 4 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
A pinch of salt
1 large free-range egg
500 ml (17 fl oz) 2 cups of pure and sweetened ready-made apple puree
3 large sweet dessert apples, peeled, quartered, cored and left in the juice of 1/2 a small lemon
115 g (4 oz)1/3 cup of apricot jam (jelly)
32 cm (12 1/2 inch) fluted, loose-bottomed tart tin, greased and floured
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
2. Combine the flours, margarine, sugar, salt and egg together in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
3. Process until it forms a ball of dough.
4. Put the pastry into the middle of the prepared tin and gently flatten it with floured hands, gently pushing the pastry out until it reaches the sides and then up the fluted sides to the top.
5. Trim the pastry with a knife and discard the trimmings.
6. Pour the apple puree into the pastry and smooth over.
7. Slice the apple quarters horizontally into wafer thin slices and arrange in overlapping circles in the tart.
8. Bake the tart for 45 minutes, or until the apples are browned and tender. Keep the tart in the tin while it cools down.
9. Heat the apricot jam (jelly) in a small bowl in the microwave and spread all over the apples.
10. Once the tart is cold, remove it carefully from the tin and serve on a plate.
11. This is delicious with Dairy free vanilla ice-cream, if you can not eat creme fraiche.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!