This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
45 g (1 1/2 oz) 3 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 large free-range egg
55 g (2 oz) scant 1/2 cup of rice flour
55 g (2 oz) scant 1/2 cup of maize flour
for the filling
3 large free-range eggs
3 large free-range egg yolks
180 ml (6 fl oz) scant 3/4 cup of lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
200 g (7 oz) 1 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of Dairy free margarine
2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar for sprinkling
8 wafer thin slices of lemon, halved
Extra icing (confectioners') sugar for decoration
24 cm (9 1/2 inch) loose-bottomed tart tin, greased and floured Baking parchment (wax paper) and ceramic baking beans
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
2. Briefly mix the margarine, sugar and grated lemon zest in a food processor.
3. Add the egg and beat for a moment or two.
4. Mix in the flours until it comes together into a dough.
5. Shape the pastry into a ball, wrap in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 1 hour.
6. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the shape of the tin.
7. Transfer the pastry to the tin and press into the tin with floured fingers. Trim the edges and prick all over the base of the pastry with a fork.
8. Line the pastry with the baking parchment (wax paper), cover with ceramic beans and bake for 15 minutes.
9. Carefully remove the ceramic beans and baking parchment (wax paper) and cook the pastry in the oven for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
10. Now make the filling in a food processor. Beat the 3 whole eggs with the 3 extra yolks, lemon juice and zest, and sugar.
11. Transfer to a non-stick saucepan and cook gently over medium heat. Stir frequently and do not allow it to boil.
12. When the mixture is thick, remove from the heat, add the margarine and stir until it has melted.
13. Pour the filling into the pastry shell and chill in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
14. A couple of hours before serving the lemon tart, turn the grill (broiler) on to very hot.
15. Sprinkle the extra sugar over the lemon filling and decorate with the lemon slices.
16. Grill (broil) for about 6 - 8 minutes until the tart is browned but not scorched.
17. Chill the tart again until needed.
18. To serve, slide the base off the tin onto a serving dish and decorate the tart with a sprinkling of extra sifted icing (confectioners') sugar.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!