This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of rice flour
1/2 teaspoon of Gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
A pinch of salt
1 large ripe banana, mashed
2 tablespoons of coconut cream
1/2 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of white rum
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
for the filling and decoration
30 g (1 oz) 1/4 cup of chopped and toasted hazelnuts, for decoration
1 tablespoon of good instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water
1 tablespoon of white rum
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 7 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
200 g (7 oz) 1 1/2 cups of icing (confectioners') sugar
1 - 2 ripe small bananas, finely sliced and tossed in another tablespoon of rum (or 1/2 a tablespoon of lemon juice if you prefer)
icing (confectioners') sugar; sifted for decoration
A roulade or Swiss roll tin, lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. Make the roulade. sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and salt.
3. In another bowl, mix together the banana, coconut cream, vanilla and rum.
4. Beat the margarine and sugar in a food processor until pale and fluffy.
5. Slowly add the egg and then beat for about 30 seconds.
6. Scrape the mixture into the mashed banana, mix briefly and then fold in the flour mixture.
7. Lightly spread the mixture in the roulade tin and bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until firm to touch and golden.
8. Leave the roulade to cool for a couple of minutes and then turn it on to a sheet of baking parchment (wax paper) sprinkled all over with the chopped toasted hazelnuts.
9. Quickly peel off the baking parchment (wax paper) used during cooking and trim the edges of the roulade with a sharp knife (this stops the edges going hard, making it easier to roll up).
10. Cover with a clean but damp (with cold water) tea towel and set aside until cold.
to make the filling
1. In the food processor beat the dissolved coffee and rum with the margarine and icing (confectioners') sugar until it is smooth and light.
2. Have the bananas ready and then spread the coffee filling all over the roulade and cover it with the sliced bananas.
3. Quickly roll the roulade into a log shape and slide on to a long serving dish.
4. Sprinkle over any nuts that have been left behind and then sift over the icing (confectioners') sugar.
5. Serve or chill until needed.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!