This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
115 g (4 oz) 2/3 cup of pudding rice
400 ml (14 fl oz) 1 1/2 cups of water
400 ml (14 fl oz) 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
20 g (3/4 oz) 1 1/2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
11.7 g (1/2 oz) sachet (US 1 tablespoon) of powdered gelatine or vegetarian equivalent
200 ml (7 fl oz) 3 1/2 cup of coconut cream
2 egg whites with a pinch of salt
Fresh mint leaves to decorate
for the sauce
The juice of 1 lemon
4 passion fruit, halved and scooped out
1 large ripe mango, peeled, sliced and pureed
Clingfilm (plastic wrap)
1. Put the rice and water into a large saucepan, bring to the boil and cook gently for 10 minutes.
2. Add the coconut milk and sugar and simmer for another 35 minutes until it is soft, thick and creamy.
3. Stir from time to time to prevent the rice sticking to the pan.
4. Prepare the gelatine by dissolving it in 90 ml (3 fl oz) 1/3 cup of boiling water and mixing until it is clear.
5. Stir the gelatine into the rice and fold in the coconut cream.
6. Beat the egg whites and gently fold in with a metal spoon.
7. Now line 6 ramekins with clingfilm (plastic wrap).
8. Spoon the rice pudding into them and smooth over the surfaces. Chill for about 4 hours until set.
9. Make the passion fruit sauce by mixing the lemon juice and passion fruit pulp with the mango puree and a little extra water until it is the right consistency. Chill until needed.
10. To serve, turn the rice puddings out onto serving plates and remove the clingfilm (plastic wrap).
11. Pour some of the sauce over and around them and decorate with a sprig of fresh mint.