This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
225 g (8 oz) 1 2/3 cups of rice flour; sifted
35 g (1 1/4 oz) 1/3 cup of ground almonds
50 g (1 3/4 oz) 1/3 cup of icing (confectioners') sugar
115 g (4 oz) 1/2 cup of Dairy free margarine
The grated rind of 1 orange
2 large free-range egg yolks
1 teaspoon of orange flower water
for the creme patissiere
3 large free-range egg yolks
40 g (1 1/2 oz) 3 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
1/2 teaspoon of almond essence
1 tablespoon of Gluten free cornflour (cornstarch)
240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of soya milk
15 g (1/2 oz) 1 tablespoon of Dairy free margarine
Enough coconut cream to make the creme spreadable
500 g (17 oz) 4 cups of fresh raspberries
icing (confectioners') sugar to dust
Mint leaves and spare raspberries to decorate
500 g (17 oz) 4 cups of mixed red summer fruit
The juice of 1/2 a lemon
Rum and water
icing (confectioners') sugar; optional
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. Place the flour, almonds, sugar, margarine and orange rind into a food processor and blend until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the egg yolks and orange flower water.
4. Wrap the dough in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 1 hour.
5. Divide the pastry in half and roll it out thinly. Use a 23 cm (9 inch) plate as a template to cut out 2 circles and place on a baking sheet.
6. Mark each circle into 8 wedges, scored almost through the pastry. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. Make the creme patissiere. Put the egg yolks, sugar, almond essence and flour in a bowl and mix.
9. Gradually beat in the milk and then transfer the mixture to a non-stick saucepan.
10. Gently cook over a low heat, bringing it slowly to the boil. Keep stirring all the time until it is smooth and thick.
11. Transfer to a bowl and dot with margarine to stop a skin forming.
12. When cold, mix in the coconut cream until spreadable.
13. Spread the cream all over the pastry circles and set on a plate.
14. Cover with raspberries and then the top layer of pastry. Dust with icing (confectioners') sugar and decorate the plate with a few mint leaves and raspberries.
to make the coulis.
Puree the fruit with the lemon juice and enough rum/water to make a thick sauce, sweeten to taste if necessary with the sugar.
Serve the coulis with the gallette.