This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
1 kg (2.2lb) of large cooking apples, washed and dried
1 heaped teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Grated zest of 1 lemon
55 g (2 oz) 4 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Calvados or brandy
825 g (1 lb 13 oz) 2 1/2 Cups of deluxe (Gluten free/Dairy free) vegetarian mincemeat
4 large free-range egg whites
A pinch of salt
200 g (7 oz) 1 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
55 g (2 oz) 2/3 cup of ground almonds
55 g (2 oz) 2/3 cup of flaked almonds
Ground cinnamon and icing (confectioners') sugar sifted together to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas mark 2
2. Peel and core the apples, chop up into little cubes and place in a saucepan with the cinnamon, lemon zest, brown sugar and Calvados.
3. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently so that the apples do not stick to the pan.
4. Transfer the mixture to a deep ovenproof dish and level off the top.
5. Spread the mincemeat evenly over the apples.
6. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and salt at high speed until stiff peaks form.
7. Reduce the speed to low and whisk in the 200 g (7 oz) 1 cup of sugar.
8. When the meringue is firm and glossy, gently fold. in the ground almonds.
9. Pile the meringue over the mincemeat.
10. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until golden and crisp.
11. Serve dusted with cinnamon and icing (confectioners') sugar.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!