This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
4 heaped tablespoons of blueberry jam (jelly)
255 g (9 oz) 1 3/4 cups of fresh blueberries, washed and dried
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 7 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
2 large free-range eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of rice flour
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of maize flour
2 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
Apple juice to mix
Greased baking parchment (wax paper) and some string
for the zabaglione
4 large free-range egg yolks
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) 1/3 cup of Marsala
900 ml (1 1/2 pints) 3 3/4 cup pudding basin, greased with Dairy free margarine and dusted with Gluten free flour
to make the pudding.
Half fill a large saucepan with water and put it on to boil.
1. Spoon half the jam (jelly) into the bottom of the prepared pudding basin, cover with half of the blueberries and then spoon on the remaining jam (jelly).
2. Cream together the margarine and sugar in a food processor for 1 minute.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla and process briefly.
4. Briefly blend in the flours and baking powder.
5. Add the apple juice to soften it to a dropping consistency and fold in the remaining blueberries.
6. Scrape the mixture immediately into the pudding basin.
7. Cover with greased baking parchment (wax paper), making a central pleat in the paper to allow the pudding to expand.
8. Secure the paper by tying string firmly around the rim of the bowl, making a little handle so you can lift the pudding out of the water more easily.
9. Steam, with the saucepan tightly covered, for 1 1/2 hours (topping up the water level when necessary).
10. Carefully lift the pudding our of the saucepan and leave it to settle while you make the Zabaglione.
11. Fill another saucepan one third of the way up with water and bring it to the boil.
12. Put the egg yolks and sugar into a large heatproof bowl and beat together with an electric whisk.
13. Now add the Marsala. Put the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk on high speed until very thick.
14. Serve immediately. Turn the blueberry pudding out onto a large serving plate and serve immediately with the warm sauce.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!