1.8 kg (4 lb) gammon joint
2 bay leaves
for the glaze
40 g (1 3/4 oz) soft brown sugar
grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
2 tbsp runny honey
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1. Soak the gammon joint in a bowl of cold water for at least 3 hours.
2. Drain and then place the gammon in a large saucepan.
3. Stud the onion with the 4 cloves and add to the pan with the bay leaves and peppercorns.
4. Cover with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
6. Drain the gammon, remove the skin and most of the fat.
7. Score the remaining fat into diamonds, stud with the remaining cloves and place in a roasting tin.
8. Mix together the ingredients for the glaze, and spoon over the gammon.
9. Bake for 45 minutes, basting 3 - 4 times during the cooking time.
Serve hot or cold.