serves: 6 - 8
1 beef pot roast, about 2 kg (4 lb)
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 large onions, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1 leafy celery stalk, chopped
1/2 lemon, sliced
2 bay leaves
4 parsley stalks
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
4 whole allspice
3 tablespoons butter
salt to taste
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Place meat in a deep bowl.
2. In a saucepan combine wine, wine vinegar, vegetables, herbs and spices. Bring to the boil and pour over meat.
3. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 days, turn meat each day.
4. Remove meat from marinade, wipe dry.
5. Heat half the butter in a deep pan and brown meat on all sides.
6. Heat marinade and pour over meat. Add salt to taste.
7. Cover tightly and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
8. Take meat out of pan and keep warm.
9. Skim fat from liquid in pan and reduce over high heat until about 1 1/2 cups liquid remains. Strain into a jug.
10. Melt remaining butter in pan, blend in flour and sugar until smooth, cook until lightly browned.
11. Add reserved liquid and stirring continuously, bring to the boil.
12. Simmer for 2 minutes. Return meat to pan, cover and leave on low heat for 10 minutes.
13. Slice meat and serve with sauce and buttered noodles.