Calories per serving 375.
1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) whole chicken
2 lemons, quartered
2 heads of garlic, broken into unpeeled cloves
a bunch of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
for the roast potatoes
700 g (1 lb 9 oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
1 teasooon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C.
2. Rinse the chicken well, remembering to remove any giblets. Pat dry with kitchen paper and place it in a non stick roasting tin.
3. Push the lemons, garlic and thyme sprigs into the chest cavity of the chicken.
4. Sprinkle the salt and pepper all over the skin of the chicken, rubbing it in with your fingers.
5. Roast for 1 hour 25 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, place the diced potatoes in a plastic container that has a tightly fitting lid.
7. Add the salt and oil, place the lid on the container and shake well, so that all the pieces of potato get a light covering of salty oil.
8. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a non stick baking tray.
9. About 35 minutes towards the end of the chicken's cooking time, place the potatoes in the oven to roast
10. Serve 150 g (5 1/2 oz) thinly carved slices of chicken per person with a few crispy roast potatoes.