serves 6 - 7
7 kg (2 lb) skirt of beef
2 oz (50 g) fresh breadcrumbs
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
25 g (1 oz) chopped suet
1 egg, beaten
1. Remove the skin from the meat.
2. Rub the meat with salt and pepper.
3. Mix together the breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, suet, salt and pepper and bind with the egg.
4. Spread this mixture over the meat and roll up. Tie into shape and place in a baking dish.
5. Add a little stock to the dish, cover and bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
6. Baste frequently with the stock in the dish.
7. Fifteen minutes before the meat has finished cooking, uncover it to allow it to brown.
8. Serve with gravy.