1 lb (450 g) peaches (about 4), peeled, halved and stoned (seeded)
1 cup (225 g) 1/2 lb sugar
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
pinch of grated nutmeg
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml white wine vinegar
1. Put the peaches in a pan. Mix together the sugar and spices and sprinkle over the peaches. Pour over the vinegar.
2. Bring slowly to the boil, making certain all the sugar has dissolved before boiling point is reached. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
3. Lift out the peach halves with a slotted spoon and pack them into jars.
4. Simmer the syrup for a further 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
5. Pour it over the peaches and cover as usual. Serve with ham, pork, cold duck or pheasant.