serves: 4 - 6
1 lb (450 g) raw minced beef
100g (1/4 lb) sausage meat
1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
1 level tsp (5 ml) dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato ketchup
1 tbsp (15 ml) table sauce
salt and pepper
105 ml (7 tbsp) white breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1. Grease a 1 litre (3/4 pint) loaf tin.
2. Mix together the meats, onion, herbs, sauces and seasoning and add the breadcrumbs. Beat with a fork until well blended, then add the egg and beat again.
3. Pack firmly into the tin and cover with foil or greaseproof paper.
4. Bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 1 - 1 1/4 hours, or until the meat is tender and the loaf begins to shrink from the sides of the tin.
5. Serve sliced, either hot with gravy or cold with salad.