125 g (4 oz) butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mixed dried fruit
1 slice glace pineapple, chopped
2 tablespoons glace cherries, halved
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
2 tablespoons raisins, halved
1. Beat butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift dry ingredients and fold into mixture alternately with milk.
4. Blend in mixed fruit and turn into a greased and floured 20 cm (8 inch) ring cake tin.
5. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle lightly over batter.
6. Bake in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 1 hour or until cooked.
7. Turn onto a paper covered wire rack and invert onto another rack to cool.