50 g (2 oz) butter
250 ml (8 fl oz) white wine
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh lovage (if available)
1 bay leaf
100 g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
1 egg, beaten
3 mackerel, cleaned and boned
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in half the wine, the herbs, salt, peppercorns and mushrooms.
2. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the rest of the wine and the egg and remove from the heat.
4. Arrange the mackerel in a baking dish and pour over the wine mixture.
5. Cover with foil.
6. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 for 20 minutes or until the fish will flake easily.
7. Serve hot with celery, spinach, rice and green peppers.