serves: 4 - 8
4 grilling steaks (T-bone, rump or cross-cut blade)
4 - 8 lamb chops (short loin or forequarter)
4 - 8 thick sausages
commercial barbecue sauce
for the marinade
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 crumbled bay leaf
2 sprigs each thyme and parsley
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place steaks and chops in a plastic container with a good seal.
2. Combine marinade ingredients, pour over meats, seal and refrigerate for several hours.
3. Turn container over occasionally to redistribute marinade.
4. Place sausages in cold water to cover, slowly bring to simmering point, leave off heat for 10 minutes, drain and store in a sealed container in refrigerator.
5. Pack containers of meats and salad ingredients in a portable insulated cooler with ice. Don't forget remaining ingredients (plus tongs, a brush, the billy can and tea).
6. To cook meats have fire at glowing coals stage, put meats on grid and baste steaks and chops with marinade, sausages with barbecue sauce.
7. Cook until done to taste, turning with tongs.
8. Season with salt and serve with salad vegetables, mustard, crusty bread rolls and billy tea.