1.5 kg (3 lb) breast of mutton or lamb, boned
225 g (8 oz) white bread, cut into cubes
milk, water or stock to bind
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
grated rind of 1 lemon (optional)
1. Lay the meat flat on a working surface, then beat it flat with a rolling pin.
2. Soak the bread cubes in milk, water or stock until soft, then squeeze out the excess moisture.
3. Mix the bread cubes with the parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon rind, if used.
4. Add any extra milk, water or stock to bind the mixture, then spread it on the meat, on the side from which the bones have been removed.
5. Roll up loosely and tie into shape. Place in a roasting tin.
6. Bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for about 1 3/4 hours, basting frequently with the fat in the tin.