1. Stuff the hare, if liked, then truss and place in a roasting tin.
2. Cover with fatty bacon and brush with oil.
3. Put plenty of dripping into the tin and roast in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on size, until tender.
4. Baste frequently with the fat in the tin, and lay a piece of oiled foil loosely over the hare after 30 minutes' cooking.
5. Serve with a thick gravy, with a flavouring of port or sherry, if liked, and redcurrant or japonica jelly.