Calories per serving 435.
350 g (12 oz) cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
425 g (15 oz) canned cherries in juice, stoned
1 tablespoon arrowroot
for the crumble
150 g (5 1/2 oz) plain white flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
75 g (2 3/4 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
50 g (1 3/4 oz) demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C.
2. Place the apples in a large saucepan with the canned cherries and juice, and heat until just boiling.
3. Mix the arrowroot with a little cold water to make a thin paste and stir this into the pan. Cook, stirring, until the juices thicken slightly. Spoon the fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish.
4. Sift the flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and then scatter the crumble over the top of the fruit.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, until the crumble topping is crunchy and golden. Serve hot or cold.
16 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!