sufficient for 12 x 75 g (3 oz) thin fish fillets, 8 fish cutlets or 4 x 350 to 450 g (12 oz to 1 lb) whole fish
3 tbsp (25 g) plain flour
125 ml (4 fl oz) basic fish stock
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
salt and pepper
8 oz (225 g) white fish fillet, skinned and finely flaked
grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Sift the flour on to a sheet of greaseproof paper.
2. Bring the stock and the butter to the boil in a small saucepan. Heat gently until the butter melts.
3. When the butter has melted, bring the liquid rapidly to the boil and add all the flour at once. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and stir the flour into the liquid to make a smooth paste which leaves the sides of the pan clean. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Beat the egg in a cup until it is just liquid, then add it gradually to the cooled mixture, beating well after each addition.
5. Beat the raw flaked fish into the mixture with the grated lemon rind. Add lemon juice to taste. Use as required.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!