Calories per serving 410
1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) half leg of lamb
1 head of garlic, divided into cloves but unpeeled
juice of 1 orange
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) red wine
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 onion, cut into wedges
1 aubergine, diced
1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
400 g can of chopped tomatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5 (190°C) fan oven 170°C.
2. Rinse the lamb and pat it dry with kitchen paper
3. Put it in a roasting tin and scatter the garlic cloves around it.
4. Pour over the orange juice and red wine, arrange the rosemary sprigs on top, and then season the lamb with salt and freshly ground black pepper
5. Roast the lamb, uncovered, for 1 hour
6. Remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to Gas Mark 3/160°C/fan oven 140°C.
7. Carefully remove the garlic cloves and set them aside.
8. Skim off any fat from the cooking juices.
9. Squeeze out the pulp from about four of the roasted garlic cloves and spread this over the lamb.
10. In a large bowl, mix together the onion wedges, aubergine, peppers and chopped tomatoes.
11. Spoon this mixture around the lamb and then cover the roasting tin with foil - making sure there are no gaps.
12. Return the lamb to the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
13. Serve the lamb on warmed plates, allowing 125 g (4 1/2 oz) of meat per person.
111 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Greek