Calories per serving 450
350 g (12 oz) lean lamb mince
1 red onion, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
400 g can of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
150 ml (5 fl oz) lamb stock
50 g (1 3/4 oz) dried, split red lentils
350 g (12 oz) potatoes, sliced thinly
1 aubergine, sliced thinly
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
25 g (1 oz) plain white flour
300 ml (10 fl oz) skimmed milk
150 ml (5 fl oz) 0% fat Greek style natural yogurt
a pinch of ground nutmeg
2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Dry fry the lamb mince in a large, heavy based frying pan until it is evenly browned.
2. Add the onion, garlic and oregano, stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, lentils and seasoning, and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, until the lentils have become tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Meanwhile, cook the potato slices in lightly salted, boiling water for 8 - 10 minutes until tender
6. Drain well. Cook the aubergine slices in lightly salted, boiling water for 5 minutes, and then drain well.
7. Melt the margarine in a small non stick saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
8. Gradually add the milk and cook stirring, until you have a smooth sauce.
9. Remove from the heat, whisk in the yogurt, nutmeg, and seasoning to taste.
10. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C.
11. Spoon the lamb mixture into an ovenproof dish and arrange the potato slices on top, followed by the aubergine slices.
12. Pour over the sauce and arrange the slices of tomato on top.
13. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, until the topping is golden and bubbling.
10 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!