1 small onion, skinned and finely chopped
100 g (4 oz) streaky bacon, rinded and chopped
75 g (3 oz) butter or margarine
225 g (8 oz) self raising flour
150 g (5 oz) cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten a little milk (if needed)
2.5 - 5 ml (1/2 - 1 level tsp) dried mixed herbs
1. Fry the onion and bacon gently for about 5 minutes in 25 g (1 oz) fat.
2. Rub the remaining 50 g (2 oz) fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in 75 g (3 oz) of the cheese, then mix to a fairly soft dough with egg and some milk if necessary.
4. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll out each piece into a 2O-cm (8-in) square.
5. Place one piece on a greased baking sheet, cover with the onion and bacon and sprinkle with the herbs and seasoning.
6. Wet the edges and cover with the second piece of dough, pressing the edges together.
7. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
8. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°f) mark 6 for about 20 minutes, until crisp and golden.
9. Serve cut in fingers or wedges; eat it hot or cold.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!