juice of 1 lemon
120 g (4 oz) 8 tbsp unsalted butter
120 ml (4 fl oz) extra-virgin olive oil
3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
3 garlic cloves, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Strip off and discard the base, leaves and spiny outer stalks of the cardoon.
2. Detach the stalks and trim the ends.
3. Immerse the stalks in a large bowl of water acidulated with the lemon juice.
4. Heat the butter and oil in a terracotta pot, arranged over a chafing dish in the middle of the table, add the anchovies and mash them with a fork, until dissolved.
5. Add the garlic and keep the flame low.
6. Drain the cardoon stalks and pat dry. Each person should get a stalk, immerse it in the frying oil and cook for a couple of minutes.