juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf italian parsley
120 g (4 oz) minced meat
120 g (4 oz) chopped sweet italian sausages
300 g (10 oz) canned plum tomatoes, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Strip off and discard the base, leaves and spiny outer stalks of the cardoon.
2. Cut the remaining stalks into pieces about 9 cm (3 in) long.
3. Immerse them in a large bowl of water acidulated with the lemon juice.
4. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until translucent.
5. Add the parsley, chopped meat and sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until golden.
6. Add the tomatoes with their juice and salt and pepper.
7. Cover the pan and cook for about 1 hour over a low heat, adding more water if necessary to keep the cooking juices moist.
8. Add the cardoons, cover again and cook for about 10 minutes more, or until tender.
9. Check the seasoning, arrange on a platter and serve.